You are going to need the proper packing materials if you want to pack up your things for the move so that they are safe during the transit to your new home. Getting all of the necessary packing supplies to ensure that your belongings get to your new home in one piece can be expensive, particularly if you want to move fragile and easily breakable objects. Now to help you lower the strain on your moving budget we at Flat Price Moving and Auto Transport want to tell you how you can pack without bubble wrap. Bubble wrap is an air-filled plastic material that is used primarily for packing all of your fragile objects. In the article below, you are going to find out about some great bubble wrap substitutes that are in your home for free.
Why use bubble wrap
First, we have to answer the question of why not just use bubble wrap to pack? First of all, the advantages of using bubble wrap when packing your things for the move are so numerous that you might be thinking why you need substitutes for it in the first place. It’s many benefits include:
- Excellent protection: Bubble wrap’s exceptional protection is thanks to tiny air-filled plastic spheres that provide cushioning qualities against harmful outside forces such as direct hits, vibrations, shock, etc. Once wrapped in bubble wrap, all of your fragile objects will also be protected from dust, dirt, and moisture.
- Easy to use: Bubble wrap is very easy to use because of its versatility and flexibility. Regardless of the size and shape of the things you want to be protected, the ideal cushioning material will cover your things completely and keep them safe during the move.
- Lightweight: Bubble wrap is very light and will not increase the weight of any items wrapped in it. And this is very beneficial because professional moving companies calculate the moving priced based on the total weight of your shipment.
- Biodegradable: It should be said that not all bubble wrap is biodegradable. To minimize pollution, re-use bubble wrap that you might have left over from previous moves or buy bubble wrap that can be recycled.
Why you might not want to use bubble wrap
So, with so many benefits, why would you look for substitutes for bubble wrap? The answer is that while bubble wrap is very useful, it is also very expensive. Bubble wrap comes in prices of around:
- A small roll of bubble wrap costs around ten dollars.
- A box of small bubble wrap costs about twenty dollars.
- A roll of bubble wrap costs approximately twenty-five dollars.
- A bulk roll of bubble wrap costs roughly thirty dollars.
- Bubble bags, usually containing sixty pieces of bubble wrap, costs approximately twenty-five dollars.
Now, bubble wrap might not appear to be overly expensive, but you should take note of the large number of fragile objects that you might keep in your house that will have to be wrapped in bubble wrap. These items include but aren’t limited to:
- Artwork pieces
- Sensitive electronic devices
- Sentimental objects
- Delicate pieces of furniture
- Anything else you own that is fragile and can break easily.
Substituting bubble wrap
Here is a list of other items that you can use to pack your things when you have to pack without bubble wrap:
- Packing paper: Packing paper is almost an ideal substitute for bubble wrap as it is cheaper, wraps closely around the item, is soft, and provides notable protection from dust, dirt, and scratches. However, packing paper is a lot thinner than bubble wrap, and you will have to use several sheets of paper sheets to get the same level of protection as a single sheet of bubble wrap.
- Newspapers: Old newspapers are free, and you can acquire as much of it as you need to provide enough padding for all of your fragile items. However, there are limits, and you can use newspapers to fill in the empty spaces in moving boxes or use them as second layers but not as primary layers because of the ink from the newspapers can easily ruin your things by causing stains that are very difficult to remove.
- Clothes: You can use old clothes as they are mostly thick enough to provide the necessary protection for the move. Do not rush to throw away any unwanted clothes as you can use them to fill in any empty space in moving boxes, as well as wrapping and padding materials.
- Bed sheets: Do not use brand new sheets to prepare your fragile items for the move as there is a high chance that you will ruin them. Instead, use old sheets which should provide the same amount of protection if they are in good condition.
- Towels: Most towels are quite thick and might be the best alternative when you have to pack without bubble wrap. Whether you want to use towels to cushion fragile items inside the moving boxes or wrap delicate items, you will still get the protection you need. Remember that unlike bubble wrap, towels are might increase the total weight of the moving box.
- Blankets: Like towels, regular blankets provide plenty of protection to all of your fragile items when you pack without bubble wrap, but will also add to the weight of the items. It’s even better if you have moved previously and still have the moving blankets. If you do not, then any blankets you can spare will do the trick.
- Socks: Thick socks are great for protecting glasses, especially stemware glasses. Make sure that your socks are clean so you will not have to spend any time cleaning your glassware after moving.
We are not saying that you shouldn’t use bubble wrap. Bubble wrap provides the best protection for all of your fragile items. If you can buy all the bubble wrap, you need to pack all of your things during the packing process. But when you are moving on a tight budget, you should make an effort to save money by finding substitutes when you want to pack without bubble wrap. If you are looking for a professional moving company to help you move to your new home, then Flat Price Moving and Auto Transport is the moving company you are looking for.
We provide high quality moving services and have plenty of experience helping people to move to and from anywhere in the US. Contact us and let our Flat Price Moving and Auto Transport support staff help you to schedule your move and can answer any questions you might have.