Deciding to move to a new home in another state is a big step in every person’s life. But do you how much money you have to put aside for it? Because it is usually long-distance, the cost of interstate moving is generally higher. In comparison to local relocation, this move is by far more exhausting and complicated. With the help of our detailed guide, you will be able to plan your expenses and complete your relocation within the limits of your budget.
The Average Cost of Interstate Moving
Before you decide to move to another home, it’s crucial to get organized to move and determine a budget to make sure that your long-haul relocation expenses don’t get out of control. According to statistical data, a family spends an average of $2000 for an interstate move. Of course, the price of your relocation will depend on several factors and may vary significantly.
The Key Factors that Impact the Cost of Interstate Moving
The major elements affecting the price of an interstate relocation include:
- The weight of the shipment. In case you decide to bring all your belongings with you, don’t be surprised by excessive charges. Instead, try to declutter your homebefore you start preparing for the move.
- The distancebetween your current location and the new home. When the distance is longer, your relocation expenses will naturally be higher.
- Labor expenses. These include additional services, such as packingservices, furniture disassembly and reassembly, renting a storage unit,
Besides, you should also consider:
- Travel fees. These will differ depending on whether you’re shipping your caror driving it yourself.
- Liability and valuation coverage. Interstate movers must provide you with two coverage options: Full Value Protection and Released Value Protection. The Full solution covers expenses in the amount of the item’s current value, while the Basic option covers 60 cents per pound cargo liability.
- Third-party insurance. Consider this optionin case you’re shipping highly valuable items and you want to have your own insurance. Make sure to save complete documentation including photos.
- Storage. Holding your belongings before, during and after the relocation process can be very useful in the case of a long-distance move. Ask your company about their rates and consider using this service as an additional aid
Country Moves – Total Expenses
The exact amount of total relocation expenses is impossible to determine since overall costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis. However, it is possible to partially estimate the approximate price using certain formulas. For example, if you are relocating to a place 1000 miles away from your starting point, then the price will vary between $1500 to $4200, depending on the size of your apartment or house.
Situations that Require Special Caution
Hiring a reliable mover is always the right choice, but be aware of several things before the final decision:
- Avoid hiring a company that cooperates with subcontractors, since this can bring you additional expenses for workers that are not full-timeemployees of the company.
- Make sure that your mover carries insuranceas a necessary part of the relocation process in case of damages or workers’ injuries.
- Be sure that a mover is reputable and legitimatein order to prevent unprofessional behavior.
Self-Service Moving – Does It Cost Less?
If you can organize the move yourself, be aware of expenses that cannot be avoided. Even with the help from friends and family when it comes to packing, you should have in mind the following factors:
- Truck rentals. The final price depends on the trip length and the number of days you will be using the vehicle. Be aware of some extra fees, like additional mileage fees, tolls fee, and truck cleaning fee in case you return it dirty.
- Truck rental insurance. It can go up to $150, and you should find out what type of damages are not included in it.
- Fuel expenses. You will be required to pay for gas yourself.
- Hotel expenses. Depending on where you’re planning on taking overnight breaks, accommodation expenses can amount to a lot.
- Relocation help. In case you need professional help, you should set aside $90 per hour for three men. Keep in mind that you might have to pay extra for the travel time.
Top Ways to Lower the Average Moving Costs
Despite high total expenses when it comes to long-distance relocation, several options will help you cut the total price of the move:
- Choose an affordable cross country mover
- Plan your long-distance relocation. If you arenot working on a strict deadline, choose the best time to move to avoid high expenses.
- Reduce the number of your items to the minimum. The fewer items to pack and transport, the lower the You can always sell or donate your old things.
Interstate Movers vs. Local Movers
The American Moving and Storage Association has estimated that the average price of long-distance cross country moves is about $4,300 and the average cost of local relocation is about $2,300. This price, in both cases, includes 7,400 pounds of cargo. However, keep in mind that this number can vary greatly on a case-by-case basis.
Average Local Relocation Costs
After hiring a trustworthy mover for a local move, you will be charged according to the number of laborers and trucks. For example, expenses for a four-bedroom home will be around $150-170 per hour. That includes four experienced workers and a big vehicle. It is a basic average price without additional costs. You should know that a large home with four bedrooms can take more than 12 hours to relocate from one city to another, and the average expenses will be around $1800-2500 without packing.
Extra Local Moving Costs
Intrastate relocations have additional expenses too. These depend on your requirements, special conditions, and tips for movers.
- Packing and unpacking servicesare usually around $25-35 per hour and, in most cases, include basic packing supplies.
- Additional money will be required in case of loading bulky and heavy items, or if you live on a high floor in an apartment building.
- If you’re satisfied with the job themovers have done, then you should prepare tips for them.
Choose a Reliable Company – Choose a Safe Move
If you are planning your interstate move, we hope that we gave you insight into general expenses. However, if you would like to know a more precise amount, the best option is to contact your chosen movers and get a moving estimate. You can also do so online by filling out a form.